Alabama Outstanding Fines and Fees


If you have outstanding fines, fees, or restitution that were imposed because of your conviction of a disqualifying felony, you are not yet eligible to restore your right to vote through the CERV process. You may, however, ask the Board of Pardons and Paroles to reduce or forgive those fees. 

If you have outstanding fines, fees, or restitution but they were imposed in connection with a conviction that was not a disqualifying felony, they are not a barrier to restoring your rights or registering to vote.
If you are not sure whether you owe fines, fees, or restitution or are unsure of which conviction they are related to, we can help you find out if you reach out to [email protected] or call 202-732-2201.

You can request a reduction or forgiveness of fines, fees, or restitution, in writing (The Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles, PO Box 302405, Montgomery, AL 36130-2405), on the phone (334-353-7771 or 334-353-8067), or over email ([email protected]).

The Board can only reduce or forgive fines and fees that have been imposed by the state of Alabama, not by other states or the United States government.

Once you apply, the Board of Pardons and Paroles may conduct an investigation. More information can be found on the Board of Pardons and Paroles’ website here.

Disclaimer: This toolkit is not an offer of legal services or legal advice. The website serves to provide information to make rights restoration accessible for Alabama citizens with felony convictions. We cannot guarantee that by following these steps that your voting rights will be restored; that power ultimately rests with the Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles. The information only applies to rights restoration for Alabama citizens; other states have different laws.

Return to start.