Campaign Legal Center advances democracy through law, fighting for every American’s right to participate in and affect the democratic process.
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is a nonpartisan organization that advocates for every eligible voter to meaningfully participate in the democratic process. We use tactics such as litigation, policy advocacy and communications to make systemic impact at all levels of government.
We are guided by the following principles:
- Our commitment will always be to democracy, not to political parties or electoral results.
- We respect the American people and their freedom to vote. We are fighting for every American to participate in and affect the political process regardless of race, economic status, or political affiliation. We advocate for every eligible voter, while recognizing that Black Americans and communities of color, in particular, have historically been and continue to be excluded from participating in the democratic process.
- We practice excellence and prioritize accuracy. We are thoughtful and proceed with care.
- We are committed to acting with respect and empathy both in our work and within our organization.
- We strive to be good partners and collaborators while staying true to our nonpartisan principles.
- We think about systemic impact when choosing what work to take. We work at any level of government when it introduces an innovative idea, could drive significant change at scale or sets an important precedent.
Campaign Legal Center was founded in 2002 by its current president, Trevor Potter, a Republican former Commissioner of the Federal Election Commission.
We would love to hear from you! Feel free to reach out with questions or concerns.