Alabama Certificate of Eligibility to Register to Vote


If you have been convicted of any of the felonies listed on the previous page you have lost your right to vote but you may be able to restore it by applying for a Certificate of Eligibility to Register to Vote (CERV). 

You are eligible to apply for a CERV if you meet all of the following requirements:

1. You have not been convicted of one of the following felonies:

  • Impeachment, murder, rape, sodomy, sexual abuse, incest, sexual torture, production or possession of obscene matter, sexual crimes against children, or treason.

2.  You do not have any felony charges currently pending.

3.  You have paid all legal fines and fees, as well as any victim restitution, ordered by the court that sentenced you for your disqualifying conviction only. If you owe fines, fees, or restitution, click here for more information.

4.  You have completed your sentence, been pardoned, or completed probation or parole.

If you meet this criteria, you can print, fill out, and mail or email the following CERV form to the Board of Pardons and Paroles to request the restoration of your right to vote. The Board is required to process your request within 44 days of receipt of your application. AL Code 15-22-36.1(c)-(f). If you do not have access to a printer or have questions about your eligibility, we can help if you reach out to [email protected] or call 202-736-2201, or you can call the Board of Pardons and Paroles directly at 334-353-7771 or 334-353-8067.

If you are not eligible for a CERV, you can apply for a pardon to restore your voting rights. Whether you receive a pardon is up to the Board of Pardons and Paroles. Click here to learn more about the pardons process.


1. Fill out as much information as possible. If you do not have some information or a section does not apply to you, that may be okay as long you fill in your name, mailing address, date of birth, list all convictions (using the back if necessary), and sign the form.

2. Important: sign the form. Your form might not be processed without a physical signature.

3. Mail the form to:
The Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles PO Box 302405 Montgomery, AL 36130-2405
Or email it to: [email protected]
Or call the Board of Pardons and Paroles at: (334) 353-7771 or (334) 353-8067

4. If you would like assistance following up with the Board or Pardons and Paroles, you can also mail a copy of your application to: Blair Bowie, Campaign Legal Center, 1411 K St. NW, 14th Fl., Washington, DC 20005 or you can email a copy to [email protected]. Please redact your social security number and other sensitive information.

Disclaimer: This toolkit is not an offer of legal services or legal advice. The website serves to provide information to make rights restoration accessible for Alabama citizens with felony convictions. We cannot guarantee that by following these steps that your voting rights will be restored; that power ultimately rests with the Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles. The information only applies to rights restoration for Alabama citizens; other states have different laws.

Return to start