CLC’s General Counsel provides advice and guidance regarding legal issues involving the organization’s work and operations. This includes advising on best ethics practices, legal compliance with applicable laws and advising on risk management. CLC’s General Counsel will also serve as a senior litigator in the Voting Rights & Redistricting programs which engage in litigation around the country, both to ensure the constitutional implementation of existing laws and to defend new reforms against legal challenges. CLC also participates in trial and appellate cases through friend-of-the-court briefs, engages in educational efforts (such as know-your-rights trainings) and provides legislative drafting assistance to legislatures and organizations seeking to improve election law.
The General Counsel will:
- Engage key stakeholders, both internally and externally, in the planning and execution of CLC’s overall strategic vision.
- Serve a central role in the development and implementation of CLC’s litigation strategy in voting rights and redistricting cases.
- Work in close collaboration with other attorneys and staff throughout the organization to direct the identification, commencement and litigation of proceedings relating to voting rights and redistricting.
- Articulate a clear vision and goals, align trial and appellate strategies with those goals and mentor and develop the litigation skills of CLC’s attorneys at all levels.
- General Counsel.
- Provide strategic legal advice to managers and staff on application of organizational policy and IRS, lobbying and non-profit rules.
- Ensure the organization’s decision-making process is consistent with legal ethical guidelines and high standards of integrity.
- Review and revise corporate documents, with appropriate guidance from outside counsel.
- Provide legal review of financial documents.
- Draft, review, and comment on internal governance policies and advise management on implementation.
- Provide legal risk analysis for organizational decisions.
- Oversee compliance with state registration laws, where appropriate.
- Review, negotiate, and draft contracts, agreements, engagement letters and memoranda of understanding with third parties.
- Identify and anticipate legal issues and propose strategic resolutions to eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions and codes.
- Advise on communications materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Identify issues and situations that require the assistance of outside counsel and oversee work of outside counsel.
- Liaise with external parties (regulators, external counsel, partners, other organizations and clients), as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that impact CLC.
- Voting Rights and Redistricting Litigation.
- Collaborate with CLC’s senior leadership on the development and articulation of CLC’s trial court litigation goals and strategies.
- Provide strategic direction and guidance within a team of eight litigators.
- Advise on prioritization of staffing and other resources necessary to deliver on program goals.
- Review attorney work product, including discovery, motion practice, dispositive briefing and appeals.
- Conduct and supervise oral arguments and bench trials.
- Manage own caseload of litigation in federal and state courts.
- Advise on proposed state and local legislation, particularly with respect to litigation risks; assist in building legislative records, including through written and oral testimony.
- Collaborate with Development staff to support fundraising efforts.
- Work with Communications staff and other teams to develop messaging and strategic communications plans.
- Monitor public policy debates and make strategic recommendations regarding situations in which CLC can most effectively engage.
- Assist in budget development, approve expenses and track spending.
- Participate in media appearances, social media activities, and other communication efforts, including responding to press inquiries.
- Represent CLC at conferences and events.
- Some travel required.
- At least ten years of post-JD experience, primarily or exclusively in federal litigation.
- Experience managing litigation teams and supervising the work of litigation attorneys.
- Exemplary writing, editing and analytical skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Formal managerial experience, such as conducting performance evaluations and implementing organizational policies and procedures, is highly desirable.
- Experience in areas of general corporate practice, such as contract negotiation, labor law or tax law, is desirable, but not required.
- Litigation experience in voting rights or other election law areas is desirable, but not required.
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility to waive into DC bar.
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC.
Please contact Debbie Tang (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tory Clarke (email@example.com) for more details about this opportunity.
The Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and benefits.