Senior Legal Counsel, Litigation
CLC litigates cases to defend and ensure enforcement of federal and state campaign finance laws, to protect the fundamental right to vote, to challenge redistricting plans that discriminate against voters based on their race or political beliefs, and to ensure compliance with government ethics laws. CLC also takes part in trial and appellate cases through friend-of-the-court briefs, engages in educational efforts, and supplies legislative drafting aid to legislatures and organizations looking to improve election law.
Reporting to a Director or Senior Director, the Senior Legal Counsel will play an integral role in litigating cases in federal and state courts across CLC’s issue areas, including identifying litigation opportunities and mapping CLC’s litigation strategy, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs, managing discovery, and managing trial and appellate proceedings. The Senior Legal Counsel will also aid in finding and supporting funding opportunities, developing and drafting policy and legislative proposals across CLC’s issues areas, and supervising other members of the litigation staff, including counsel and support staff. The Senior Legal Counsel position is eligible to take part in CLC’s telework and flexible work programs.
CLC may hire more than one candidate and may tailor the level or tasks of the position(s) depending upon the candidates’ experience and qualifications.
- Find strategic litigation opportunities in areas of campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, and government ethics in coordination with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage a caseload, from pleading stage through discovery, trial, and appellate proceedings
- Prepare pleadings, motions, and briefs in federal and state cases, and strategize and manage discovery process
- Take and defend witness depositions, lead conferences with opposing counsel, and take part in court hearings
- Manage record-building activities for caseload and take part in the development of policy and legislative proposals
- Aid in finding and securing funding opportunities to support litigation matters
- Manage litigation staff, including counsel and support staff
- Some travel may be needed
- Five or more years of legal experience
- Experience with all stages of the litigation process
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Experience managing staff
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility to waive into the DC bar
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
- Demonstrated interest in campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, or government ethics issues is preferred but not needed
Compensation & Benefits
We offer salary commensurate with experience plus a competitive benefits package including 401(k) match, employer-covered health, dental, vision, short- & long-term disability, AD&D, and life insurance.
Please send a cover letter and resume addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Senior Legal Counsel, Litigation” as the subject line in an email to [email protected] Applications that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered. Please no phone calls about this position.
Deadline to submit applications is April 9th, 2020.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, record of arrest or conviction, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive of additional duties that may arise as business needs change.