Senior Legal Counsel, Campaign Finance
The Senior Legal Counsel will play an integral role on the campaign finance team, with their primary responsibilities involving the team’s active state legislative and policy activities. The Senior Legal Counsel will provide legal support and research for state campaign finance projects. This work will include analyzing legislation, drafting legislation, drafting policy proposals and explanations, creating advocacy materials, and working closely with coalitions to support reform efforts. As needed, the Senior Legal Counsel may also participate in the campaign finance program’s litigation docket. This position reports to the Senior Director of Policy.
- Build and maintain relationships with local and national partners in support of legislative efforts
- Advise state, local, or other partners on ballot initiative language or legislation
- Review and analyze proposed legislation, regulations, and other policy proposals
- Draft legislation and policy proposals
- Create legal advocacy materials including policy papers, rulemaking comments, letters to government officials
- Draft pleadings, motions, and briefs in federal campaign finance cases including amicus briefs
- Research legal issues and draft legal memoranda in support of CLC’s litigation strategy
- Other duties as assigned
- Some travel required
Qualifications and Skills
- At least five years of legal experience
- Experience on campaign finance policy or litigation is a plus but not required
- Experience working on state ballot initiatives or legislative efforts is a plus but not required
- Excellent judgment and strategic decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain good working relationships with a diverse range of coalition partners
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility to waive into the DC bar
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is $100,000. CLC provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, prescription, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, as well as flexible spending account and retirement programs.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and résumé addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Senior Legal Counsel, Campaign Finance” in the subject line to [email protected].
Position will remain open until filled.
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.