Redistricting Data and Policy Associate
Throughout the critical redistricting period of 2021-2022, CLC will host a website tool, PlanScore, which offers historical data for state house, state senate, and congressional redistricting plans and a dynamic scoring service that provides a quantitative assessment of the partisan fairness of proposed redistricting plans.
Reporting to the Director of Redistricting, the Redistricting Data and Policy Associate will oversee PlanScore activities, respond to inquiries from partners, create and publish content related to the current redistricting cycle, assist end-users with GIS technical questions, maintain an ongoing library of proposed redistricting plans during the 2021-22 cycle, and coordinate with communications staff to focus media and advocacy attention on the partisan skew of proposed redistricting plans. This is an 18 month term-limited position.
- Stay informed about redistricting activities in all relevant U.S. states
- Communicate regularly with representatives from high-priority CLC partner organizations
- Implement a continuously updated library explaining each state’s activities, proposals, and opportunities for activist involvement
- Organize PlanScore data and write content (i.e., fact sheets, reports and analyses) designed to inform external stakeholders about maps, collaborating with communications staff from inception: conceptualizing projects, to completion: working together on release plan
- Watch for user questions concerning PlanScore’s dynamic upload functionality and help users with GIS problems encountered when scoring data files
- Triage user suggestions and inquiries, involving PlanScore’s political scientists, legal experts, technical experts, and web design vendors when needed
- Monitor opportunities for new PlanScore features and initiatives
- Coordinate with communications staff to highlight PlanScore tool and reporting
- At least one year of professional writing experience, preferably writing dynamic, engaging updates on technical or political topics
- GIS technology experience sufficient to answer user questions and recognize problems that require escalation to dedicated experts
- Ability to produce public-facing reports on complex topics in a way that is engaging and understandable to non-expert audiences
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
- Demonstrated interest in redistricting is preferred but not required
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary and strong benefits package including full coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as long- and short-term disability, 401(k) retirement plan and employer match, Washington Metro SmartBenefits, and an annual technology allowance.
Please send a cover letter and resume addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Redistricting Data and Policy Associate” as the subject line in an email to [email protected]
Applications that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered. Please no phone calls about this position.
Deadline to apply: July 7, 2021
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.