Legal Counsel, Voting Rights
Reporting to the Co-Director, Voting Rights & Redistricting, the Legal Counsel will play an integral role in the voting rights team. Under the Co-Director’s management, the Legal Counsel will have primary responsibility for the voting rights team’s growing legislative and policy activities. This work will include analyzing legislation, drafting legislation, drafting policy proposals and explanations, creating advocacy materials, and working closely with coalitions to support reform efforts. As needed, the Legal Counsel may also participate in the voting rights program’s litigation docket, including drafting pleadings, motions, and briefs, managing discovery, and assisting with trial and appellate proceedings.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Review and analyze proposed legislation, regulations, and other policy proposals.
- Draft legislation and policy proposals.
- Create legal advocacy materials including policy papers, comments on rulemaking, letters to elected officials or election administrators, or other communications products.
- Build and maintain relationships with local and national partners in support of legislative efforts.
- Participate in all levels of federal litigation including drafting pleadings, motions, and briefs, conducting discovery, and participating in trial proceedings.
- Conduct legal research and draft legal memoranda in support of CLC’s voting rights litigation and advocacy strategy.
- Monitor and identify opportunities and needs in area of voting rights.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Some travel required.
Qualifications and Skills
- At least three years of legal experience (including clerkships)
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility to waive into the DC bar
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
- Demonstrated interest in voting rights and/or policy experience is preferred but not required
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is $90,000-$95,000 plus a competitive benefits package including 401(k) match, health, vision, dental, short & long term disability, AD&D and life insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and resume addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Legal Counsel, Voting Rights” in the subject line in an email to [email protected]
Please submit applications by January 31, 2020.
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.