Legal Counsel, Redistricting
CLC engages in trial and appellate litigation around the country. CLC litigates cases to defend and ensure enforcement of federal and state campaign finance laws, to protect the fundamental right to vote, to challenge redistricting plans that discriminate against voters on the basis of their race or political beliefs, and to ensure compliance with government ethics laws. CLC also participates in trial and appellate cases through friend-of-the-court briefs, engages in educational efforts (such as know-your-rights trainings), and provides legislative drafting assistance to legislatures and organizations seeking to improve election law.
Reporting to the Co-Director, Voting Rights and Redistricting, the Legal Counsel will play an integral role in litigating redistricting cases in federal and state courts, including identifying litigation opportunities, drafting pleadings, motions, and briefs, managing discovery, and assisting with trial and appellate proceedings. The Legal Counsel may also participate in developing and drafting policy and legislative proposals.
- Draft pleadings, motions, and briefs in federal and state cases
- Research legal issues and draft legal memoranda in support of CLC’s litigation strategy
- Develop discovery strategy and draft discovery requests and responses, ensuring compliance with court-ordered discovery deadlines
- Monitor and identify litigation opportunities and needs in redistricting
- Take and defend witness depositions, participate in conferences with opposing counsel, and participate in court hearings
- Participate in trial proceedings
- Participate in record-building activities and the development of policy and legislative proposals
- Some travel required
- At least one year of legal experience (a judicial clerkship satisfies this requirement)
- Experience drafting legal memoranda
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility for admission into the DC bar
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
- Demonstrated interest in campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, or government ethics issues is preferred but not required
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
Please submit a cover letter and resume addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Legal Counsel, Redistricting” in the subject line to [email protected]