Fall 2020 Public Interest Fellowships
CLC is seeking applicants interested in campaign finance and ethics. All applicants must be willing to apply for any available public interest funding for their fellowship. Fellowships will be time-limited for one or two-year terms. Limited internal funding is available if external funding is not obtained. This internal funding depends on the 2020 - 2021 budget and will not be guaranteed for all sponsored fellows.
CLC litigates cases to defend and ensure enforcement of federal and state campaign finance laws and to ensure compliance with government ethics laws. CLC also participates in trial and appellate cases through friend-of-the-court briefs, engages in educational efforts, and provides legislative drafting assistance to legislatures and organizations seeking to improve election law. Fellows will have opportunities to participate in litigation, policy advocacy and public education activities to hold elected officials and special interests accountable for violating campaign finance laws, and to help develop and defend those laws.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct legal research and analysis and develop theories to support new litigation or advocacy projects.
- Draft legal memoranda, pleadings, motions, and briefs.
- Draft and edit public education and advocacy materials.
- Participate at all levels of trial and appellate practice as needed.
- Help manage student interns.
- Engage in public speaking and attend meetings and/or conferences.
- Other duties based on the specific project or position as developed.
- Some travel may be required.
Qualifications and Skills
- J.D. or expected to receive J.D. by spring of 2020. Applicants should be 2020 - expected law school graduates or 2019 graduates currently in another fellowship or clerkship.
- Admission, or plans to seek admission, to the D.C. Bar or another bar that will enable the applicant to waive into D.C. Bar membership.
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and drive projects from start to finish.
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
- Demonstrated interest in campaign finance or government ethics issues is preferred but not required
Salary and Benefits
$52,000 per year or as provided by a specific fellowship program. CLC will supplement any external funding to guarantee of salary of at least $52,000 per year. CLC provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, prescription, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, as well as flexible spending account and retirement programs.
The Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and benefits.
Please submit a cover letter and resume addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Fall 2020 Fellowship (campaign finance)” in the subject line in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit applications by September 20, 2019.