Director of Human Resources
Position Summary CLC is seeking an experienced and collaborative Human Resources (HR) leader. Reporting to the VP, Operations and Finance (VP), the Human Resources Director will partner with the VP and HR Generalist to successfully provide CLC’s staff the resources and support needed to achieve the goals of the organization’s mission. The HR Director will act as a thought partner to the VP in developing and implementing strategies and processes to meet CLC’s organizational objectives. The ideal candidate will bring a demonstrated record of planning, leading, and developing policies, activities, and staff of the HR department, ensuring legal compliance and implementation of an organization’s mission and talent strategy. The top candidate is a strategic thinker, creative problem-solver, and decision-maker who thrives on identifying solutions while facilitating strong collaboration and communication across the organization. The HR Director will have a strong interest in enhancing CLC’s HR function and services, bring strong interpersonal skills to the role, and have a proven ability to help individuals and teams perform at their highest level.
- Maintaining knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and innovative technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law and applying this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources.
- Monitoring and ensuring CLC’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws/regulations, and recommended best practices; reviewing and modifying policies and practices to maintain compliance and efficiencies.
- Directing CLC’s efforts to foster a respectful and inclusive office culture which reflects the stated DEI values of the organization while creating and promoting opportunities for cross-organizational staff engagement and learning.
- Supporting the development, review, rollout, and implementation of organizational policies and monitoring internal systems, processes, and best practices to ensure continued efficacy and optimal performance.
- Establishing and maintaining the CLC Employee Handbook.
- Overseeing the daily workflow of the HR team.
- Overseeing payroll responsibilities and payroll reports, ensuring the information is accurate and updated in a timely fashion.
- Managing organizational insurance policies and serving as lead of organizational emergency response plan and policies.
- Overseeing the performance management program, conducting wage and salary surveys to ensure salaries remain competitive and equitable, while updating job descriptions as needed.
- Leading efforts to conduct new employee orientations and exit interviews.
- Maintaining a constructive working relationship with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Establishing and supporting training and professional development programs for staff.
- Providing guidance to set up an environment that will attract and retain high performers.
- Overseeing the employee benefits programs, including medical, dental and vision, flexible benefits plan, life insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, employee retirement accounts, and workers’ compensation.
- Overseeing other employee benefits such as the pre-tax transportation benefit, health and wellness, technology allowance, retreats, staff recognition program, staff engagement initiatives, etc.
- Overseeing open enrollment and serving as a primary contact between insurers, participants, and benefits vendors.
- Conducting research and analysis of organizational trends including review of reports and metrics.
- Identifying staffing and recruiting needs while developing and executing best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Developing and implementing a departmental budget.
- Serving as a trusted resource for staff.
The successful candidate will be a direct and collaborative manager who will partner with the VP in decision-making as CLC continues to enhance its high-quality work in support of its mission and to strengthen its management and infrastructure to support that work.
CLC leverages a variety of online platforms including Intacct (accounting software), Nexonia (timekeeping and expense recording software), ADP (payroll), Raiser’s Edge (fundraising CRM), and Microsoft Office suite. Promising candidates will have working familiarity with a variety of platforms.
Ideal candidates for this position will bring a variety of experiences and competencies to CLC including:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- 7+ years of progressive professional HR experience with at least five years of HR management experience required.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Prior experience managing the HR function of an organization or large department.
- Demonstrated experience building an HR function that fosters a respectful and inclusive workplace.
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Collaborative working style with an ability to build consensus.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Experience with managing a team in a growing organization.
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors.
- A successful record of setting priorities with keen analytic, organizational, and critical thinking skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent internal and external client service skills.
- Ability to multitask with the willingness to hold diverse responsibilities in a fast-paced growth environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of CLC.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary and strong benefits package including full coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as long- and short-term disability, 401(k) retirement plan and employer match, Washington Metro SmartBenefits, and an annual technology allowance.
Please send a cover letter and resume addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Director of Human Resources” as the subject line in an email to [email protected]
Applications that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered. Please no phone calls about this position.
Deadline to apply: June 29, 2021
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, record of arrest or conviction, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to supply an overview of this position and is not all inclusive of additional duties that may arise as business needs change.