CLC is seeking a Communications Manager to develop and manage a communications campaign related to CLC’s voting and elections portfolio. The position requires communications and organizing experience. The ideal candidate knows how to run communications campaigns and build relationships with both reporters and partners to elevate a story.
We work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment, and only encourage team players to apply. This position works with a large team and requires strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, confident project management, excellent writing skills and ability to work some nights/weekends for rapid response, when necessary.
- Build and implement a communications campaign, which includes
- developing and maintaining relationships with allied groups and partners
- Manage incoming media requests and aggressively pitch media outlets and promote CLC spokespeople
- Draft press materials including press releases, statements, advisories, blog posts, op-eds, reports, and other public education materials
- Provide press support, including preparing spokespeople for interviews, creating talking points and setting up interviews
- Plan and manage press conferences/calls, media events and public events
- Create and provide text to assist the digital team in creating content for web, email, video and audio and social platforms
- Work with policy staff to help produce and edit high quality materials such as advocacy reports, fact sheets, case pages, blogs, and op-eds
- Support CLC book events across program areas
- Support the development of messaging materials to effectively communicate with CLC audiences
- At least 3-5 years of experience working in communications and/or organizing for a nonprofit, campaign, on the Hill, or for a public affairs firm serving nonprofits.
- Demonstrated passion for the advancing democracy through free and fair elections
- Experience building coalitions and establishing relationships with press
- Proven ability to implement strategic communications campaigns
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills with knowledge of AP style
- Public speaking skills
- Must be a team player
- Must be available for after hour/weekend rapid response
- Demonstrated commitment to CLC’s mission
Compensation and Benefits
CLC offers a competitive nonprofit salary and a strong benefits package, including full coverage of your employee medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as long- and short-term disability, a 401(k)-employer match, a generous leave program, Washington Metro SmartBenefits, and an annual technology allowance.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that includes why you are interested in working on voting rights and redistricting at CLC, your previous experience working on voting rights and redistricting issues or how knowledge from your previous experiences will help you succeed in this role with “Manager, Communications” as the subject line in an email to [email protected].
Applications that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered. Please no phone calls about this position.
Deadline to apply: December 10, 2021
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.